Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My rant for this evening...

I just saw this post on the fixed.gr/nyc/ site:

Hub and Spokes: Imageability of the Daily Bicycle Commuter in New York City

In a city that is dominated by the automobile I want to find out how its residents who use other modes of transportation actually view the built environment. While all forms of transit modes could be studied, I find that this small minority (0.5% of residents who commute by bike) would make for an interesting study. The sole purpose is to record the subjective perspective (mental image/imageability) New York City bicycle commuters have of the build environment, good or bad, through a survey. The survey is 23 questions and will take less than 10 minutes to complete. No compensation will be provided for participation in this study.

more info @ hubandspokes.blogspot.com

Being an NYC cyclist commuter type, I took the survey. At the very end was an 'additional comments' section which I normally leave blank whenever I take part in some random survey. However this time, I kinda went to town on it for once:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think over the last few years the city has made some great improvements for cyclists. Having said that I feel like they've barely just begun. Compared to some of the more friendly bicycling cities, NYC is still pretty horrible. Making the streets safe is going to take A LOT more than just putting in nice bike lanes. Driver awareness is by far the biggest issue. This city is filled with way too many ignorant, uptight, fucktard drivers who have no conception of anyone else on the road. Let alone a cyclist rolling along on their 20 lb bike while they dangerously speed by in 2 ton vehicles. Let's not even get started with the 'yellow menace'. Actually no, you know what, forget about all the bike lanes. Just take all the fucking yellow cabs off the street and watch quality of life raise substantially in every fucking sector OVERNIGHT... Anyways, that's my rant for this evening...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, but I FUCKING despise cabs. I mean, sure they're convenient as shit sometimes but you know what, 95% of the time they're just in your fucking way. I thought it was bad enough having to deal with them when I'm driving, but almost being killed by one nearly everytime I'm spinning on two wheels is getting to be a bit much...

I say either get fucking rid of them or put Q-U-A-L-I-F-I-E-D drivers behind the wheel. You know, LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO...

Oh and BTW, if you just happen to see me hop into a cab this morning because the 1 train was fucked up, you're sorrily mistaken..........

Share/Bookmark

No comments: