Thursday, July 1, 2010

A lot of awesomeness has been going on lately..

..too bad I haven't had as much time as I'd like to document and be all bout it- bout it! In any case, here goes:

Last Sunday's Slacker ride went very well! Tho a little less on the slacker side of things if you ask me. Some of the hills in Yonkers were a bit brutal riding a brakeless tarck. Would've geared down or like some of my fellow cycling compatriots, just brought their road bikes instead. This dude Johnny brought his brand spanking new custom Moots Vamoots with Campy Carbon:


Yeah, we were all super jealz..

..and in stark comparison:

Bday girl Allison brought her I DON'T KNOW carbon fiber roadie she got off ebay:


Apparently there's been a lot of talk about these knock off frames and the seller's are TOTALLY reputable. Not only that but the frames are very well made and of the same ride quality as some of the higher priced CF makers out there. I suspect they're being made at some of the same manufacturing plants as Trek and some of the other larger brands. Best of all, they're CHEAP AS FUCK at $3-400 BUCKS!!!

Here's a few snaps from a thread about people's experiences with purchasing, fit, build ups and ride quality:



Read more about it here and I guarantee you'll seriously consider it! Quite a lot of people have pulled the trigger and have been stoked as hell about it :-)

I was all about this one at first but it turns out it's a bit more expensive at approx $1300:


Super sick tho huh? Would've made an EXCELLENT garrish street tarck, hehe

Anyways, enough with the bike nerding.. Back to the fraking ride already!

While I didn't really take nearly as many photos as I would've liked, here's a few favs from inside the Glenwood Power Plant:






..and the rest of the set here

Along with some sets from other photo nerds amongst the group:

Jeremy

Justin

Ed

Afterwords a bunch of the pack broke off to head back into Manhattan/Brooklyn while the rest of us went back to my place in the Jerz for some righteous BBQ action! Just wish I had some photos of it all. I was either too busy cooking/running around or just plain exhausted from the ride..

I actually made this kick ass bench from a photo I saw on the internet that I was very excited about. Yes, again, no freaking photos of it yet. I made two but only had time to assemble one. I'll most likely do a separate post on it once I've got the whole set done. Cause, you know.. I'm sure you guys reeeeaally want to hear about custom jankily made patio furniture..

Here's a bunch of completely random photos and videos that tickled my fancy one way or another:






I know, you're wishing I had photos from like 5 sec later on that last one, hehe..

Then there's a bunch of cool shit people have been sending in to me over the last few weeks that I have yet to reply to. Sorry everyone! I'm usually not nearly as busy as I have been lately. I'm going to have some time next week me thinks so I'll be sure to get to it then..

I'm stoked for this weekend since I have Monday off and because I fully (FULLY!) intend to BBQ again and then ride over to the cliffs of Weehawken NJ to enjoy the fireworks like I did last year:



Standing on a cliff and watching a fireworks show with Manhattan as a backdrop kicks so much fucking ass it's not even funny! Try and make it out if you can!!

Also, I'm going to start building a new tall bike :-D

Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Fred Blasdel said...

Yeah, sauce on that last one!

I've got a matte UD carbon FM015 frameset in production in China, along with matching 310g 50mm deep carbon tubular rims, and gloss UD carbon saddle + seatpost + stem + handlebars + bottle cages. Should be here in August.

Alan Sikirić said...

Holy shit dude that sounds sick! Send me some snaps before and after build if you can :-)

Alan Sikirić said...

Holy shit dude that sounds sick! Send me some snaps before and after build if you can :-)

Fred Blasdel said...

Oh yeah, I'll put pics up with actual weights and everything.

I got a 2008 Campy Record group for it on craigslist. I'm going to build up two wheelsets for it, both on Soul Prodigy hubs — one 24/20 with the carbon tubular rims, and another 28/28 with Stan's Alpha 340 road tubeless clincher rims.

Unknown said...

The E-bay bike's front fork looks a lot like the Pinarello (prince??) froks!

phil g. said...

Damn. Next time I'm gonna have to go on on of your rides. Sounds like a good time, and a sick photo op! I actually had one of the ebay CF forks on my Felt a while back. It was way lighter than my stock fork and held up really well!

Fred Blasdel said...

Chaim: The fork is a clone of the wavy Pinarello ONDA, the frame is a clone of the Kuota Kredo from a few years ago.

Sam said...

Hell yeah for Cardiel and hot bmx chicks!