Monday, January 3, 2011

40&1/2 cage, RC Broham Rack and WTF Townie?!

This one's SURE to get me the hairy eyeball:






aaaaahahaaha, YES! I'm super stoked on how funky and awesome this bike came out!! Specs etc later on since I'd rather talk about the funny shit I made more right now..

Like the RC Broham Rack! (BETA):



For those of you who don't really get the title, please refer to Nintendo's RC Pro Am from 1987 (1:40 to be specific):


The idea came to me during one of my stonier moments a while back and I'd been dying to see it come to fruition. It's the very first rack I've ever made and I basically slapped it together in one afternoon. So yeah, there's lots I could improve on. Like having barely cleaned up the welds! It could def be a bit lighter too. The actual 'speed arrows' could def be either thinner steel or maybe even some other material. Tho they most def make the fucker sturdy and stiff as hell. You could transport a keg on that thing and not have it bend!

While the RC Broham rack is just kinda a fun and reminiscent idea of times when video games weren't consuming everyone's souls, I think this next one is something people would honestly be interested in:

The 40&1/2 cage (BETA):



Yes, I made a cage that can carry any 1/2 gallon container of milk, ice tea and apple cider.. THAT CAN ALSO CARRY A 40oz OF BEER!!

I DARE you to tell me that's not pretty fucking awesome! I mean, how many times have you gone grocery shopping and had to deal with the awkward extra weight on the one side of your bars during the trip home? I never had a rack before this one so that's just how I carried shit and getting milk always sketched me out. No longer tho!

As for the 40oz bottles, I did come up with the idea to make a cage for that first. Not being a drinker however, stalled that idea for a while. Until I realized that if I could make the cage more dual purpose by carrying a 1/2 gallon container as well, it could feasibly make for an actual sellable product..

I basically want to test the cage out myself, make a few tweaks on the next version and see what I think. Perhaps give a couple out for others to test for their feedback. Then if there's interest, I would LOVE to make a bunch more of these! Lord knows I could use some supplementary income these days. I'd just have to make a nice jig first to keep things consistant. The one pictured was all done free hand with a vise..

So yeah, if you're interested, have any thoughts or comments def let me know:

TheTripleC@hotmail.com

Be sure to put 40&1/2 cage in the title of the email or just drop me a comment here..

As for the wacky parts group on the Townie bike itself, read em and weep:

***

Beat up, front end impacted DeBernardi frame resprayed ala rattlecan

Yamaguchi straight blade forks (formerly owned by the man himself, Mike McCarthy)

OG HED wheels with original 7 speed freewheel style hub

Gatorskin Tubulars

Stronglight Ironlight Cranks

Shimano DX pedals

Dura Ace 7 speed rear Derailleur

Vintage Dura Ace Headset

Campagnolo single sided shifter

Campagnolo fluted seat post

Campagnolo Athena Brakes

Selle Turbo Saddle

Dia Compe Brake levers

Cinelli Stem

Nitto Bars

Nashbar Cork Grips

***

Yeah, like I said- NUTTY!


Originally titled: The choose your own adventure townie, this build came about due to a crazy amount of weird and random bike parts I'd accumulated over the years. Some were take off parts from frames I'd bought or found in the trash. Others, like the yamaguchi forks, were just something I snagged off ebay cause, well, they're AWESOME! The forks are great cause the dude I bought them from lived in Manhattan. He told me that he originally bought them off Mike McCarthy back in the day when they used to train together. Apparently, Mike had swapped out the fork I bought for a CF one and then gave it to his buddy. Who then sold it to me. For like $60 bucks. Then my dumbass relinquishes it to a friggen wack ass townie build- douche. So yeah, stoked on that purchase! Not sure if it'll stay on there but it def gives me a kick seeing it in front like that, hehe..

Not to mention those fuuuucking RAD HED wheels! OMG I was SO stoked to put that pair together!! I got the front wheel while buying a Specialized HED3 off some dude a while back for $300 for both in super nice shape. Then, I got the rear from a local cat. I didn't know the hub was a threaded freewheel at first when I went to check it out. But since it was a matching set I felt like they just needed to coexist together. Then I thought, HOLY FUCK I should totally blaze these on my townie! With the help of a couple of tubular Gatorskins, history
was made. A HISTORY EVERY PERIOD CORRECT WANKER WILL GET HIS PANTIES IN A TWIST OVER- MWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Seriously tho, this shit is hilarious and totally for kicks. I get period correctness and all that but I don't see what's wrong with having a little fun with a bunch of random used parts bin parts either..

Anyways, enough of that shit, repost the 40&1/2 cage so I can feed myself. After all, it's how Ahearne got his start with the Whisky flask cage..



Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

craig said...

best idea out of you yet!!

I want a cage. and totlly going to make my own rack in the next couple of days.

Alan Sikirić said...

Thanks man! I'll def post more about the cage when I feel like they're ready for the public. Rad that you're making your own rack- good luck with it! :)

nsk said...

This bike is out of control. Exactly what I intended for my commuter, but didn't have the parts to pull off. Bookmarked! Nice!

DoubleOhTwo said...

Well done, Alan, that rack is hot, viewed from above! I'll defo be putting my order in when they're ready!

Unknown said...

do it ! love the monster bidon ! make sure you also market it as a 2 Litre bidon, the metric world is a pretty big market :D