Saturday, April 16, 2011

Yamaguchi Frame Building School day Four and more!

Today was pretty damn tough. Lots of critical mitering and nervousness at the outcome. I've done quite a few miters before but nothing as precise as this. Everything came together perfectly so I'm stoked on what I've got going on thus far:


I'm going to a tarcklecross type thing with a brazed HT, lugged BB, ST and Fork Crown. The reason for mixing it up is because I want to learn how to braze the more complex lugs along with doing some fillets as well. Then I'm going with Disc brake tabs with a beefier fork crown and rear stay reinforcement. Should be pretty sweet when it's done! Hoping to hit up Bilenky to learn how to couplerize it :-) Oh and the geo is going to be tight but not too super tight- 74 degree HT, 57ctc ST and 56cm ctc TT. Sorry, should've taken a photo of my blueprint otherwise I'd have all the specifics..

After class I went out exploring again. Having never been to the rockies or anywhere with nearly as gnarly terrain before, my mind was pretty much blown:


Stoked on that last one!

As cheesy as this is going to sound I was really awe struck at how majestic my surroundings were/are. When confronted with massiveness on a scale never before experience it really brings home just how unbelievably large the world is outside your own. You never really get a true sense until you see it for yourself. It really makes me want to travel and explore a whole fuck load more. Hoping to take a drive out to Glenwood Springs to see Doc Holiday's grave or something. Might go to Aspen but I'm not sure if it's worth the hour and a half drive. Certainly would be had I thought to bring my snowboard!

In any case, there's a bunch more on my flickr as per usual: Set 1 and Set 2. Check em out when you get a chance! If you find yourself at the Yamaguchi school and have a rental car, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF to hop on Country Road 320 out of town and snake your way through the plateaus all the way to Basement Mesa. Fucking. Amazing.. 

Anyways, stem building class is tomorrow!


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

jay78 said...

Hey man, if you're loving the mountains and CO altogether, DO NOT go to Aspen. It will make you hate humanity and want to blow it all up. At least that's what it did for me, and I live in CO. Vail is equally as nauseating, and I'm not a hater. Really.

smellsofbikes said...

Aw, man, Aspen, as a town, sucks, but the surrounding terrain is pure awesome.

Unknown said...

Your comment about the beautiful terrain of CO reminds me of the Terrible1 bmx video "we love colorado." Check it out if you haven't already seen it.