Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Since we're on the topic of Hetchins bikes.. Here's my newly completed Bilenky 'Hetchins Tribute' track bike...


So here it is, my recently completed Bilenky Track bike. The Frame and Fork were built by the boys over at Bilenky Cycleworks of Philly. I started this project off with a set of NOS 1950's Hetchins Magnum Opus Lugs I bought off ebay. Then came up with the concept from my love of classic Hetchins frames and mixed in a little modern styling and technology. As you'll see, the boys at Bilenky did a mind blowing job building this frame for me. I couldn't be happier! More info and specs after the pics...






There's LOTS more pics on my flickr set. Check em' out...

So here are the specs on parts:

Vintage Major Taylor Bars and Adjustable stem
Vintage Campagnolo Record Neuovo Pista Headset
Brooks Leather Bar Wrap
Velo Orange Brass Bell
Brooks 1st Reproduction Swallow Saddle
Nitto post that is in desperate need of a good polishing to match the stem
Campagnolo Record Pista cranks (90's)
KMC gold anodized chain
MKS Royal Neuvo Track pedals, Vintage Alfredo Binda Leather straps
Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
Wheels: Zipp T2 Track Hubs laced to custom painted Velocity Deep V's

Concept and execution of the bike:

I've always been a fan of classic English road and track/path bikes. Especially Hetchins. It's one of those bikes I'd KILL to own but knew I most likely never would. Whether it be the wrong size, price etc.. That never really stopped me from searching though. One day a set of Vintage NOS Hetchins Magnum Opus lugs showed up on ebay. I won the auction and from then on I was committed to building the frame I'd been dreaming of. I'd already had first hand experience with the guys at Bilenky Cycleworks so I could think of no other to get the job done right. I consulted with Steve about what I was looking for. Curly rear stays and seatube, slightly sloping down tube etc.. I came up with most of the main ideas but those guys should take most of the credit for coming up with a few of their own and of course putting the damn thing together. During the initial build I was still trying to come up with a good color and finish for the lugs. I've always had a thing for British racing green but was in love with the tonality of colors coming out of Vanilla cycles. I opted for a nice creamy green with creamy white panels. I also wanted to do something different with the decals, or in this case lack of which there of. Along with the custom cut name plates on the ST, DT and HT, I decided to go ahead and have the lugs brass coated instead of paint or chrome. Most likely from my Love of Black Paint Leica's with brass showing through their paint as they wear. Done in a nice satin polish and left to the elements to tarnish. I knew that tarnishing would only add to the lugs patina when hand polished over the years. As for the parts, I knew I wanted to go with a lot of vintage but def some more modern hubs and clincher rims. I think I have the perfect mix. The thing rides like a FUCKing dream. The hubs are THE smoothest I've ever ridden. The bars feel so awesome when riding on top or in the drops. The saddle.. well.. let's say it has yet to be broken in, but looks cool as shit. All in all the frame and bike turned out AMAZING. I think one of the sickest things about the whole experience is the fact that the bike won TWO first place's at this years Le Cirque du Cyclisme. One for 'best fancy lugs' and two for 'best people's choice'. As you can imagine I was wicked bummed I couldn't make it to the event but SUPER stoked at the same time. That really should've be me arm in arm with those cute ass chicks though. Simon you lucky fuck! Anyways, I really can't say enough good things about the bike and the guys at Cycleworks for hooking it up. If you're in Philly def go check em' out...

Now, the real question is.. How ever am I going to top this build. hmm... Well, at least I've already gotten a good start:


And here's my current inspiration:



Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

® said...

you're f'kin insane dude. f'kin insane set up. argh... you ought to open up a bike museum. maybe once your museum is up you ought to just pass your bianchi to me ;)

i'm currently on a 54 soma delancey. feels a bit too big so i'm looking for a 51. just got a reply from glory cycles. out of stock for the matte black [damn it!] but saw the '08 athena white ones. will be out on december. hmm... i am thinking...
any suggestions or opinion on that?

® said...

not feeling the athena white tho. current set up is white. need a matte black w/o spending extras on p-coat. matte black... sepultura head banging matte black... ;)

no rush on the search... i've blown my budget from my trip... damn again!

Alan Sikirić said...

Hehe, yeah man. I DEF went a little overboard on this build. But what can ya do? It was one of those projects you start and a 1/3 of the way through you ask yourself what in god's name were thinking when you came up with the idea in the first place... As for the Concept, I think you should go with the matte black. So much radder that way. Looks AWESOME when you build it up with a lot of Celeste colored gear. A 55cm one showed up on ebay yesterday. Other than that- nothing. I'll keep ya posted on anything else I spot out there for when you're ready...

® said...

cool man. hope you won't sell the hetchins.
as for concept, will def. let you know and i do agree that matte black is right too. ok dude. got to go back to
work...

thanks

®

Steve Fuller said...

Definitely late to the party on this one, but I wanted to say that I get just a little bit happier inside every time I see this bike. Well done.

Alan Sikirić said...

Better late than never man- Thanks!

Andrei Gruia said...

very good work you did there dear friend :) i wish for some time to find such a set of lugs to build my dream track bike. It must be a joy to pedal this awsome machine